Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Favorite Painting of Mine



I used to display this image on the Ward-Nasse Gallery Web site under my name.

I notice an Analytical Cubist influence. A face and many planes in red and blues, a complicated painting, even intellectual. Early on, I admired the Cubists – Picasso and Braque are masters at creating new forms; Juan Gris added color to Cubist forms. In select works, they advanced the study of the face, although the still life was their favorite subject matter. Repeated to visits to study “Le J.” at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. A regular at MOMA, as well as the other big ones, the Whitney and the Metropolitan. I memorize the permanent collection.

I went through a phase in which I privileged the use of blue and red. These two colors dominated the work, a color series. Unlike academic painting. Ienjoy the contrast of blue and red when side by side. I use more than one shade of blue. Ultramarine blue as well as a lighter mixture, which the company labels Light Blue Permanent.

Size: 48” x 40”
Acrylic on canvas.

Late 1990s

No comments: